The InFerno's Story
The InFerno's story is one steeped in a rich culinary history over three generations.
It starts with Fern Kirouac Sr., a classically trained French chef who owned and inspired the cherished Winnipeg restaurants, Red Lantern on Hamel Avenue and La Vieille Gare on Des Meurons Road in the 70's and 80's. Fern Sr. sadly left us in 1990, but would later see his son, Fern Kirouac Jr. and grandsons, Chris and Zack pick up where their father and grandfather left off to bring back to Winnipegers and visitors the same authentic and unforgettable culinary experience that the family was known for a few decades earlier.
In December 2003 Fern Jr. was inspired to open, InFerno's Bistro in the heart of St. Boniface. It is considered Winnipeg's Premier Bistro by the team and its customers. It was named it one of Winnipeg's best new restaurants of 2004 and has shown no signs of stopping. In 2012, Fern. Jr. and his son Chris opened a second location at 414 Academy Road - InFerno's on Academy.
Both locations are known for their inventive menus, wine lists, warm family atmospheres and are signature venues for jazz performed by locals and visiting musicians - something the Kirouacs are proud to support and consider integral to the InFerno's experience.
We believe in providing a warm and inviting atmosphere where people can come experience incredible cuisine and inspired music without breaking the bank. We treat our team and customers like family - a reason why both establishments are the regular backdrop for so many celebrations and gatherings. When you come to InFerno's we're going to take care of you and that's because we're passionate about leaving you better then you came.
InFerno's considers it a privilidge to offer support to the following initiatives and organizations:
- The Stone Soup competition. A friendly soup competition in support of the Child Nutrition Council of Manitoba
- The Chefs en Plein Air fundraiser in support of the Francofonds Organization
- For eight years, we've teamed up with the S.O.S Charity Organization and Winemaker Howard Soon from Sandhill wines. Chef Fern and Howard pair up the wine with the food and then they present each course to the guests. The S.O.S auction off this dinner off at the Taste of the Nation event. For more information click here.
- The IRIS Gala
- Rady JCC Sports Dinner
- Date with a Star
- Academy Road Biz Fundraiser for Breast Cancer, "Academy Road Cares" 2016
- Gold Sponsor for Kelvin High School Active Living Centre Fundraiser event
- Fern finds it an honour to donate his time and food every year to raise money for the park behind his house. (Fern cooked 36 pizzas in a wood fired pizza oven in the park - go Fern!)